May 10, 2011
Well damn, it’s been almost a month since my last post. I had been on a pretty good roll too, but sometimes life takes over.
So to get everyone back up to speed, the last time we brewed was for Lambic #2 which was a split batch with a friend from Brewmasters of Alpharetta. Since we had enough gear, I also brewed another American IPA while the lambic was going on Les’s system.
This time around I decided to go with some hops that I had never used before as well as experiment with using First Wort Hopping instead of a 60 minute bittering addition. I also did additions every five minutes from 20 down to flameout. The plan also called for a decent amount of dry-hopping.
The brew went really well and we hit all the numbers. Pitched a healthy starter of 1272 American II yeast and 2 days later added the 1lb of table sugar which i had reduced to a simple syrup and cooled. After two weeks in primary, I transferred to secondary due to the large amount of yeast caked up along the sides and neck of the carboy. Primary had been quite vigorous. The 2oz of dry-hops were added to the secondary carboy and the beer transferred on top. After 6 days the beer was transferred to keg and is currently carbonating.
Initial tastes are a firm but smooth bitterness. Hop aroma and flavor are strongly resinous with mild hints of grapefruit and tangerine.
Here’s the recipe: