February 9, 2011
This past Saturday night, I ended up with the house to myself while the girls had a sleepover at a friends. Of course I had honey-do’s to finish and I had an itch to go see The Mechanic (which was pretty good), but what I really wanted was to knock out a batch of beer.
I had already toasted some oats in the oven the week before at 250F for about 20 minutes. They were put back in the container to mellow for the week after toasting.
After the house was clear I quickly ran down and milled grain while my strike water was heating. Setup was the small batch rig on the kitchen island.
I knew to overcompensate the strike temp on the small cooler due to the low initial mash temp I experienced on the Amber. I hit around 152F this time instead of 154F, but a little boiling water from the tea kettle brought it right up. I had a lot of fun running to paint closet doors between the mash stirs at 20 and 40 minutes. Luckily I got both doors done during the mash.
The boil was very smooth and I got a second coat on the doors between the hop additions. Chilled down to pitching in about 20 minutes in the sink and got the 3gallon Better Bottle down to the fermentation fridge. OG was 1.060 and the efficiency calculation was around 89%.
After a little cleanup, I enjoyed a 10:40 showing of The Mechanic and then a pint of Port Mongo at Taco Mac after the movie.