February 27, 2011
Well, it was a busy weekend with beautiful weather and lots to do. I had planned to fire up the big system and brew a full 10 gallon batch, but it just didn’t work out. I did, however, manage to get the small system going in the kitchen and filled my empty 3 gallon Better Bottle with a new Dark Mild recipe I’m testing.
The small system has been working out great for keeping some session beers on tap and for trying out recipes. I’ve started to figure out some of its quirks, so I knew that I needed my strike water to be about 8 degrees F hotter than what Beersmith is calculating. Even by pre-heating the mash tun with boiling water it comes in low if I go by the numbers.
Everything went smooth and I was done in around 4 hours. I even managed to make a quick run to the local hardware store between sparging and starting the boil to fill up propane for the big brew that I didn’t get to today.
Actual strike was 5 quarts at 174F giving and initial mash temp of 155F.
Batch sparged with two additions of 1.25 gallons at 170F. Total collected volume into the kettle was 3.25 gallons at 7.25P (1.028).
Final volume into fermenter was 2.6 gallons at 9.25P (1.036).
03/18/2011 – Posted tasting notes