January 24, 2011
With all of the holidays coming and going along with the increased needs of work and home, it’s been a bit harder to hide out in the garage for half a day firing up the old brew rig.
So, I put together a small 2 gallon mash tun (found it discounted at Target too) and got myself a 5 gallon steel stock pot.
The mash tun uses a steel braid for the manifold connect to each end of a T fitting similar to this build. I planned to batch sparge and estimated a maximum amount of grain at around 4.5lbs. Mixing that grain bill with about 6qts of water was a pretty tight fit.
Even by preheating the mash tun with boiling water, I still came in under my mash temp by 5 degrees F. So, this one will come out a little light in the body and dry. Hopefully it won’t be too out of balance.
I also came in under volume which I’m attributing to a higher vaporization rate on the stove-top (wider surface area of liquid in this pot) as well as some absorption from the whole lead hops I used for the late additions.
Initial volume ~2gallons at 1.060 O.G.
02/09/2011 – Kegged tonight. Very rich tangerine hop aroma. Didn’t taste it tonight but will post notes after it carbs up.
03/13/2011 – Received Gold (Score: 35.5) in American Ambers at the 2011 Peach State Brew Off